sked

sked

Friday 15 April 2011

Viking axe by Svante Djarv

My new axe, its a hand forged viking axe by Svante Djarv, it's design is bassed on an actual Viking find, it weighs 1.5 kg, its Elm handle is 33 cm long and the bit length is 16 cm.



I have tried it out today and it certainly has some clout, the weight of the head is very good at removing the wood quickly, it also has a good slicing action due to the large sloping edge.







I found that the Viking axe is going to be a great axe for large bowls as it really removes the waste wood very well but also if held towards the head it has very good control for finer carving.







This is a quality tool indeed!. I think that I will enjoy using this axe for years to come, its very well made, its very sharp and holds an edge very well, its weight packs a serious punch but feels very good in the hand, very nicely balanced due to its handle shape and the service that Elsa and Svante provide are excellent!.

5 comments:

  1. Nice Axe Simon. I had been thinking about bying that one as well.
    I also thought that i might be a good side-axe if it was made with just a single bevel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a dandy, and hand-forged besides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been looking to buy an adze for some time but couldn t afford Gransfors. Svante may be the answer, did you order direct? how did that work out with postage, taxes, exchange rate etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of the broad axe Svante makes Mikkel that comes with a single bevel if you wish.
    Get in touch with Svante and Elsa Paul they will let you know the postage costs and taxes. I cant fault their service and the quality of their tools.

    ReplyDelete