sked

sked

Saturday 1 May 2010

Finished Birch Kuksa

I finished the Birch Kuksa last night, I'm really glad with the way it has turned out and the contrast between the two colours of the wood is very attractive and the Linseed oil really brings it out.









There is some nice signs of compartmentalization and the brown rot caused by the Piptoporus betulinus, the wood was partly green when felled but when carving it was brittle in places because of the fungus so getting a clean finish from the tools was difficult as it would try and cube so I had to rub it over with sand paper, not something I would normaly do but in this case it has given it a nice polish.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon
    The kuska loks great. What sort of size is it? I have been trying to make a kuska but my last two attempts have failed - I hollowed out the inside ok with an adze but managed to split them both whilst shaping the outside.
    Cheers
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rich, the Kuksa is 7 x 5 inches by 2 inches deep, I always use the axe to start with then use the knife to remove the wood from the outside shaping it slowly.

    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comment.

    All the best.

    Simon.

    ReplyDelete