sked

sked

Saturday 8 January 2011

Short axe handle.

I have been toying with the idea of making a shorter handle carving axe recently and today I got round to making one. I have found that when using axes for carving or roughing out I dont need a 13 or 14 inch handle, so today I made this Ash handle for this kent pattern head, its just under 9 inches long and I carved the handle to suit my grip. The head weighs just under 2 lbs so it has a good feel when being used with the 9 inch handle, I used a Oak wedge to secure the head, not done the best job with it but its nice and tight so it works fine.



I like the tool finish and because of the size of the handle it gives a good grip.



The handles curve makes it very usable and the head balances forward to give a good cutting action.

No comments:

Post a Comment