sked

sked

Thursday 31 March 2011

Finished a couple of jobs

I managed to get done a couple of things done that I have been meaning to get round to for a while now, first was to fit some new legs to my axe block, I have been using an Ash block for years now and it finaly gave up the ghost the other day.
So I fitted some cleaved wood legs to this block I have had knocking around for a bit. Its a good height and comfortable to use for axe work over long a period.



The other job I got round to was to make a low holding bench for bowl carving and adze work.
You kneel next to the bench on either side as you work or for two handed adze work you can stand over it with your legs either side.





The bench was from a piece of a Sycamore tree that we felled and then ripped in half with the 064 because it was running like a dream that day!.



At the moment I have only added 4 holes for the pegs to hold the work but as I go on I will add a few more for different sizes of work, also you can use different sized pegs, this piece is tall so large pegs are being used but if the piece is smaller smaller pegs can be used so that they dont get in the way of the adze.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing what simple technology can make the job so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful...practical...amazing...I find this more and more interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon,

    I'm making a hewing bench a bit like your's, only bigger (out of a 115cm by 40cm diameter oak log). I'm making a blog post on the process. Is it allright if I use one of your pictures and link to this post to illustrate what I'm making?

    Cheers,
    Lieuwe

    ReplyDelete